Tuesday, October 11, 2005

amazing.brilliant.shining.hope

i dont remember any other moment of such pride in being pakistani as the moment i entered the PAF museum. Stunned. I was. Spirited. People were. as we drove in, the 2 km driveway was full of cars-young boys, families, school girls, teenagers, all heading to help in whatever way they could. I seriously think there were more people than the biggest musical concert, the largest entertainment gala.

Inside the field, someone had organized the goods being donated into medicine, blood, kafans, food, blankets, etc and all the while we were there, the constant stream of trucks brining in rice, cartons of water, medicine, blankets, tents, did not let up. Karachiittes had opened up their hearts and their homes, and whatever they had they were prepared to give. More than the trucks what was really inspirational to see were the aged couples walking in bringing 3 water bottles, a few sheets, some biscuit packets-whatever they could afford-and helping in distributing it all.

The first public gathering of its kind where mullah-types, trousers-clad girls, rowdy young boys etc were all working together without judgement, without any catcalls, where girls had flung their dupattas off to really get to work without caring about the looks. It was brilliant and i wanted to bottle the spirit present in the air.

6 Comments:

Blogger BBCD said...

Your post just gave me goose bumps, im so proud of you, i only wish i was there to help myself. May Allah give you and all my Pakistan Brothers and Sisters strenght to continue through out the coming days weeks and months.

4:14 AM  
Blogger mars said...

thanks!!!
i think all of you guys who arent here in person are here in spirit-i know everyone abroad is realllyy doing their best to help so its just brilliant.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

I was there for two days, and my god it was such a high being there...

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found a bunch of help here hospice mesothelioma resource

7:55 PM  
Blogger ali said...

mariam hussy.
what the hell.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I came past your site while I was searching through Blogger, it is not really the information I was after about Mens Health but I did stay to read your blog and found it interesting and well done, I do like what you have done with your site. Keep up the good work and hopefully I will visit again sometime and also find the information on Mens Health that I was looking for in my travels.
Regards,

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home